Friday, December 5, 2014

Participant Liaisons in Long-Term Care Programs

Julie Peterson
Participant Liaison


I come from a caregiving background. In 2010, I began working for two participants in IRIS, the state of Wisconsin’s self-directed long-term care program. During that time, I saw the positive impact IRIS has on their lives. I could see how the program could be improved, too. To bring about these improvements, I joined the iLIFE staff as a participant liaison.

What is a participant liaison? What does a participant liaison do?

Participant liaisons are responsible for serving consumers in the IRIS program. Liaisons work in specific service areas, which for me is northwest Wisconsin.

From my office in Rice Lake, I am available to participants in my region, along with their caregivers, consultants and vendors. They call or email me, and I work with them to get the help and information they need to navigate the IRIS program.

Working in a regional office allows me to see things from the viewpoint of our clients. I meet consumers face-to-face, understand their issues, and develop personal relationships. It is an effective way to improve customer service and educate consumers on self-direction.

When someone contacts me for help, I work as quickly as I can to resolve the issue. I also take note of other things that may need attention. This includes:
  • verifying participant and caregiver contact information
  • updating participant caregiver lists
  • answering budget questions
  • educating consumers about program guidelines

I truly consider it a privilege to serve IRIS consumers as a participant liaison. It is a rewarding role that helps consumers, and makes a great self-directed program even better.


Learn more about iLIFE
Read about the Wisconsin IRIS program


No comments:

Post a Comment